Blogging for Books

Blogging for Books
You can get free books just for posting a review!

Friday, April 22, 2011

What's in a Name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

These words were spoken to Romeo by Juliet in the famous play written by Shakespeare. Names are so essential to us that we give them to people, places, things, animals, plants, everything. In a recent blog by my friend Kathy Henderson, she talked about the titles she has had over the years. It brought to my mind some of the monikers I’ve had through the years.

When I was born, my name was somewhat of a controversy. My mother wanted to name me after her maternal grandmother Judith Cox. My Dad was not too keen on the idea, because Judith was the name of a book in the Catholic Bible and a title character who was not the best role model. After much debate, I was given the name, but have been called “Judy” most of my life. 

I was the youngest and last of five girls, and Mother always referred to me as her “baby girl.” I didn’t particularly like that title, because I wanted to be grown up like my older sisters. But as I got older, it didn’t seem as bad because I realized it was more a term of endearment than a commentary about my age or maturity.

In fifth grade, I followed in my four sisters’ footsteps and earned a title that I loved and really enjoyed for the next four years, “Cheerleader.” Eventually our family grew to 15 children. As our clan increased in size, we were always referred to as group instead of individually. We were the “Combs kids.” My Dad was well-known in our area because he was a building contractor and businessman. He was well-respected, so I was proud of being a Combs and being associated with his company name.

Daddy was also a pastor, so we were often referred to as the “preacher’s kids.” Now to some people, that has a negative connotation, because people often put a preacher’s family up to scrutiny, and we don’t always pass their tests. But I was proud of my preacher/pastor Dad, and never felt that he or Mother expected anything more of us than they would have otherwise. They expected us to do what was right, because it was right, not because we were being scrutinized.

Throughout high school, there are labels for groups at each level of achievement, and the “freshman and sophomores” are low on the totem pole. I felt good when I could call myself a “junior” and even better, a “senior.” In 1964, I achieved the new title, “Graduate,” which made me feel pretty proud. At college, I became a freshman again but added another title that seemed pretty cool to me, “coed.” This last for only a year before I left college and got married.

 After marrying I not only gained the title of “wife,” but the added title of “preacher’s wife.” Some people don’t know what to call their pastor’s wife, and we end up with some funny tags. Among a few I've had are:  “Sister Puckett,” “Mrs. Preacher,” “Reverend Mrs. Puckett,” and “The Holy Woman.” Don’t laugh…I know that last one doesn’t fit! It came from a neighbor man who was slightly mentally challenged. Upon seeing my car approaching, he called out to several children who were playing in the road, “Get out of the way and let The Holy Woman come through!”

Two of my favorite titles have been “Mom” to our three children, and “Mimi” to our seven grandchildren. These are probably the titles I am most proud of, because I feel they were indeed a calling and ministry that God gave me. I loved being a mother, and have enjoyed being a grandmother equally as much. I’ve had great fun watching and helping my grandchildren grow into the wonderful people I knew they would.

I was blessed to be a stay-at-home Mom with my children until they started school. At that time, I began working part time in our church ministry, and held various jobs both inside and outside the church. I’ve been the “Teacher” to our kindergarten classes, the “Cook” for our church daycare, and even served as the “Janitor” in one of our churches.

Later I entered the business world and earned my insurance license, becoming an “Agent.” I also worked as an “Executive Secretary and Administrative Assistant,” for almost 20 years at OG&E. During my tenure at OG&E, I went back to school, earned a BS in Business, and became a “College Graduate.” Within a few years, I enrolled once again and earned a MA in English/Writing, achieving my lifelong goal to become a “Writer.”

Using those skills, I recently checked off another line on my bucket list and became an “Author.”  I had been working on my book for more than ten years, and probably gathering materials for about 15 years, when I finally published it in 2010. Having done that, I began to allow myself to enjoy other writing projects I kept putting off until my book was done.

When I left OG&E, I got the title of "Retiree," which is actually quite nice. Lately, I realized I have achieved another title, one which many of us dread. The AARP informs me that I am now a “Senior Citizen.” It’s not really my favorite, but it does have its perks at restaurants, hotels, ballgames, and other places that offer a lower price for seniors. I am especially happy to be a senior citizen when I look around and realize that many of my former peers are no longer on this earth.


I'm very patriotic, and have always been proud to be called an "American."

Every name has a special meaning, but no name means as much to me as being called a “Christian.” It is the most important title I’ve ever received. Our pastor says it originally meant little Christ. This Easter week has been a time of reflection for me, and I have thought about how little I’ve done to deserve God’s favor. “Christian” is a title that I could never earn, but I’m so thankful for God’s grace in bestowing that title upon me.


Tis the power of the Cross:
Christ became sin for us,
Took the blame, bore the wrath,
We stand forgiven at the cross.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Holy Woman! And I'm quite sane, thank you. Well, most of the time!

    ReplyDelete