Blogging for Books

Blogging for Books
You can get free books just for posting a review!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Poem of God's Bountiful Gifts

Blackbirds
 by Judy Combs Puckett

Today a flock of blackbirds descended on my lawn
The sun had shone so brightly since early at the dawn.
They pecked along the cold, hard ground, eking out a meager meal
Content with only bits of grain. Inside and warm, I watched them still.


The flock was quickly joined by more; they shared the grain and seed.
None worried that another bird would take more than his need.
Although each bird appeared to be full black when they flew down,
I saw small feathers green and blue while gazing from the ground.

Their beauty was amazing. Such an intricate design
Of patterns pressed in feathers, now seemed one of a kind.
I saw anew, as God must see that each one was unique
Fulfilling its own purpose here, and He gave me a peek!


I wondered, if it had been I who was obliged to share,
Would I have welcomed graciously the new ones, without a care?

Suddenly, as tho’ a bell had rung, the entire flock took wing,
Perfectly timed and choreographed as if all heard it ring.
The sky was blackened as they rose, their feathers sleek and sable.
I watched them heading further south and went back to my table.


I thought of how the Scripture says: He sees the sparrow fall,
And not one hair falls from our head without His knowing all.
Why do we then, His chosen ones, anxiously worry and fret?
He deeply cares for you and me--a promise we may forget.

But if He puts inside the birds a compass and a mind
To show them how to navigate and where their food to find,
Why should we think He doesn’t know the many things we need,
To trust His goodness and his love, and at His table, feed.

Our Lord bestows abundantly more than we ask or think.
His cup is overflowing now, So come, and richly drink.

  ©   January 2011

Post a comment below and share how God has blessed you.

3 comments: